Gullickson's

Thursday, September 25, 2008

knee update...

wanted to let you all know that things went great yesterday. Billy and I arrived at the Hospital around 2:30 --- the normal routing paperwork, and was shortly hooked up with an iv...which was painful :) but great, as I hadn't been allowed to eat or drink ANYTHING from the previous night! The staff at Ellis was wonderful and attentive...i had a bit of nerves creep up after getting the details of being put "under" -- but they passed quickly, and Billy made me laugh as we waited, by doing some old school breakdancing for me! too funny....

anyways - just before 4 they wheeled me down to the OR - the anest. dr. was a sweetheart - and reminded me that she was there for one reason...to take care of me. She joked about giving me a cocktail :) to take the edge off prior to starting...as she said "in my opinion, every patient deserves to have a little cocktail prior to surgery..." - so whatever she gave me def. lightened things up. The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery and it was 5:15. The ortho. dr. had spoken with Billy indicating that the tear was not repairable (we had discussed the option to repair or remove the damaged section - i opted for removal as you recover much, much faster - weeks as opposed to months!) - he also said there was a piece flapping, which was probably the source of most of my pain. 5 - 10% of the medial meniscus was removed, a very small percetage...which makes it good for longevity for me - better for arthritic issues in the future.

Prior to going to the OR - the anest. dr. asked me if I was sensitive to motion sickness...well anyone that knows me well, knows I am super sensitive, and often even get sick when sitting in the front when someone else is driving! She said she was glad she asked b/c people who are tend to have a harder time w/ feeling nauseus after. She gave me a patch behind my ear, and an anti naus. med right away. It worked, as I didn't feel any upset after at all.

So, I can to pretty quick, only about 30 min.s in the recovery room - was tranferred back to the day surgery unit, and was released in about 1/2 hr. I am able to bear almost my full weight, which is great... doesn't feel good to bend it - ie. down the stairs is tough - so I resorted to a butt approach down! lol

I'll see the dr. in a week, and will probably do some PT to make sure all heals and strengthens back up. So - very happy that it went so smoothly, and was thrilled to have a great surgeon - who specializes in the knee and sports med.

thanks for thinking of me - and I'll let you know how everything goes!
xxoo genine

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all went well. Gotta love those cocktails, hopefully you didnt say anything too incriminating while you were under!
xo your new sister ;)

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter